New Construction on a 2-Acre Site Overlooking Puget Sound
This residence in Edmonds sits on a bluff overlooking Puget Sound and the southern tip of Whidbey Island, with unobstructed 180-degree views of the water and the Olympics. The secluded 2-acre site consists of four lots bounded by a steep ravine to the south and a bluff to the west.
Built so far is the three-story home set into the slope. The lower level is a daylight basement with full access to the rear yard and views. The main level features a wrap-around deck and a formal porte cochere entry accessed through a circular drive. Auxiliary facilities include an attached two-car garage and a detached shop building with an additional two-car garage, all of which look out onto a car court. Other amenities include terraced gardens and extensive landscaping.
A future phase for the development of this site includes a guest house.
What the Client Asked For
- Position the house for privacy, taking advantage of the site's seclusion, while opening every space with large windows and unencumbered views.
- Develop a well detailed, traditional exterior, with a steep roof and formal covered entry.
- Create an open, relaxed space for entertaining, while maintaining the privacy of the intimate living quarters.
- Design a den that can function as an office for two with plenty of storage yet still feel residential.
- Provide shop space for the owner, who has a contracting business.
- Anticipate a guest house on the site, to be built later.
- The design places the house strategically on the slope, dividing it into three levels to use the site efficiently and maximize opportunities for views. The master suite on the upper level stays very private, separate from the rest of the home.
- The curving driveway and car court offer an indirect approach to the house, respecting its privacy, and structure the space elegantly for garage access, a detached shop/garage, and the porte cochere entry.
- The design features a traditional steep-pitch roof with open and detailed gables, a colonnaded deck, and a low-maintenance stucco exterior.
- When you enter through the porte cochere, you arrive at the main level in a spacious two-story entry foyer with ready access to the office/den and main living, dining, and kitchen areas with large view windows. Guests can move casually between spaces and out onto the deck that wraps around the view side of the house.
- On the upper level is the master suite, with two separate walk-in closets, two bedrooms that share a bath, and an exercise room.
- On the lower level are a guest suite and a game and recreation room, as well as a kitchenette, craft room, and mud entry.
- The lower level opens out onto a spacious landscaped yard, including a fire pit and private garden. The main level deck accesses the yard via a stairway.
- For the eventual guest house, we took design far enough through schematics to locate it on the site and establish its size and character.